Saturday, January 2, 2016

Take a breath; we're going deep.

Credit: pxleyes.com
Isn't this a great picture? I've been wanting to show it to you since I found it months ago. Today – a day when we're going deep, theologically speaking – seemed like a good day.

Before we go any further, though, you really need to know that theology simply means "what you believe about God (and all the other important things)." If you don't get this, you'll just feel overwhelmed. But that's all theology is. Really.

I’m assuming that since you’re reading this, you’re either a Christian, or you at least think about Christianity. So today, I ask a question of you…

What is your “Theology of the Cross”?

Uh? What is she talking about? Let me explain... as I've been preparing for my ordination interviews later this winter, I’ve been asked to work on my theology of the cross. And until quite recently, I was clueless about what that meant.

I’ve found this to be the case – a lot – since I got into pastoral ministry. Maybe it’s because I was in my 40s when I began, but there are lots of “church-speak” words and phrases that I’ve had to Google before I could put together a decent response. This was one of them. What I learned was that …

Theology of the Cross is a term Martin Luther came up with to explain his belief that the cross is the only source for knowing about who God is and how God saves. [1]

That sounds a bit weird to me, but I keep at it…

As Luther put it, “God receives none but those who are forsaken, restores health to none but those who are sick, gives sight to none but the blind, and life to none but the dead … has mercy on none but the wretched and gives grace to none but those who are in disgrace. [2]

Ooooh, this I can understand. It reminds me of Jesus’ words: “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick." Matthew 9:12, among others...

While Christianity focuses on the hope and love we find through God’s grace, the cross is about death, pain, and loss. Luther’s idea was that this paradox is key to our religious belief.

Okay, that went a bit deep again...

A theology of the cross says that God is with us most consistently when things are falling apart and when we've reach our limits, rather than in our strongest moments. And, God is always involved with us (and everyone) exactly as things are at that very moment – not the way they might be, the way we wish they were, or imagine them to be – but as they really are.

I think I understand now! We don't need to pretend with God. God gets it. We're fragile and easily hurt. Sometimes we feel so lost. But when we're lost or broken or [insert the word that describes where you've been] God is with us, and will continue to be with us in the worst that life throws at us. Thank God!

So, what's your theology?

[1] Wikipedia
[2] Luther, The Seven Penitential Psalms, 1517.

No comments:

Post a Comment