Saturday, March 12, 2016

Slothful

Thank you, Marissa Strniste
Slothful. Isn’t that a great word? Can’t you just imagine one of those South American animals hanging from a branch, moving in oh-such-slow motion. (Or maybe you think of Flash from Zootopia.) Can you feel your muscles relaxing as you reflect on the seemingly easy lifestyle of these wonderful creatures?

I’ve been feeling lazy these last few weeks. I haven’t felt like doing certain things I usually enjoy – like practicing the violin, writing blog entries, or preparing foods to eat. But I'm not worried. I know the cause.

My current slothfulness is because … ready for this? … I’m tired, plain and simple. I’m depleted as one might be after running a long race or at the conclusion of finals week. My ordination interviews last month were the culmination of years of effort, the last five months of which involved intensive preparation. At long last, I have time to do the things I let slide while I was busy writing papers, and praying, and mentally preparing myself. It’s taken me by surprise how worn out I feel even three weeks later.

Are you tired? Have you been beyond busy for about as long as you can remember? Can you recall the last time you got 8 hours sleep? I’ve been getting good sleep – granted, it’s easier when one doesn’t have a social life – but I’m also very good at keeping too busy. And I suspect that some of you might be as well. 

We could each come up with a list of reasons and excuses, and we are all well aware that there are things we can’t leave undone. But no matter how long the list, the question I encourage us to ask is, “How well am I handling all of this?”  

We need to ask, “What am I doing to take care of myself?” Or to frame it more theologically, “How well am I taking care of the person God created me to be, so that I can be about whatever it is God has in store for me?” Then, we need to look at the underlying questions ...
  • What’s on my list that doesn’t really need to be there? 
  • What can I delegate? 
  • What won’t be missed if it doesn’t happen?
  • What doesn’t matter to anyone but me?
    Is it worth it? (If so, keep it. If not, maybe you could get rid of it.)
  • What do I need to change in order to take care of me more fully? 
  • What am I willing to drop from my expectations so I can make time for myself?
Wherever we are in our life’s journey, I just want to remind each of us – in all love – that we’re better for the ones in our lives – at home, at play, and at work – when we take care of ourselves. 

Bless your life so that you can be a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment