Saturday, January 14, 2017

When Was the Last Time You Played?

Kay at Rehoboth Beach last summer.
As I may've mentioned before, I haven’t done New Year’s resolutions for years – except this year I found myself thinking, “If I had a resolution what would it be?” and two words came to me. (More on those in a moment.) During one of this week's studies – we’re just getting into Adam Hamilton’s Half Truths – Lydia shared something her spiritual director had told her: “If you’re paying attention, the Spirit will give you a word.” (Very much paraphrased – I’m terrible at quotes.) Lydia said “joy” had come to her, twice, then someone she hadn’t spoken to in months came up to her on the 1st and told her she is such a joy-filled person! Lydia conceded that this is clearly her word.

Back to my words. The second one is “stand” I expect because I spend so much of my time sitting and, even on the stability ball I sit at at my desk, I need to sit less and stand more. Unless something else presents itself – the universe does that sometimes – I think this one is cut and dried.

The first word, which came this fall and continues to haunt me, is “play.” I’m part of a Discipleship Covenant group and one of our Acts of Devotion reads, “With individual wholeness of body, mind and spirit as a goal, I will be mindful of my diet, sleep, exercise, and Sabbath practices; scheduling time each week for retreat, reflection , renewal, and fun,” which means that each of us will weekly be giving our account of how well – or not – we did on this. Usually I’m okay with sleep and diet (I have to be) and I’m pretty good about taking Sabbath time each Friday. So you might think I’ve got this covered. But then there’s that “fun” word.

Kay's first presidential voting experience.
In the last few decades I’d pretty much lost my sense of fun. I didn’t laugh unless I was around youngsters. I didn’t play, didn’t even know what might qualify as play! (Maybe I don’t need an exclamation point, because this is probably true for many adults, maybe you.)

Play relieves stress, stimulates the mind, boosts creativity and can improve relationships. We need it. And it’s God’s hope that we will play and enjoy life. Okay, we’re convinced and we commit to making time for it. Now the big question is, “What is play?”

Some of the ideas I’ve gleaned from the universe, and the web are:
My front yard.
  • Blow bubbles. In the bathtub, the porch or anywhere else.
  • Do something with a ball. Juggle?
  • Visit a park. Take a walk someplace new.
  • Host a game night. Why not play charades or Codenames for your next get-together. Kay and I played lots of games between Christmas and New Year. Fun!
  • Belt out the tunes. In the shower, the living room, the mall parking lot …
  • Learn a magic trick.
  • Sing into someone’s voicemail.
  • Try gardening… outside. Get up-close with dirt and leaves. See how things grow. 
  • Play an instrument. Kazoos and hand drums work if you’re not so musical.
  • Throw a party. I’m not one to speak to this one, but if it works for you, go for it.
  • Sing or play. In a community choir, band or orchestra.
  • Skip. Not just one hop. Do it through down the block or through the store. 
  • Dance. In public, if you dare. Around home, at the very least. 
  • Try a new hobby. Archery? Baking pastries? Fencing? Geocaching?
  • _______. (This is for you to fill in. Break one of your inner-voice rules and go play!)
What is play for you? Block some time into your schedule and protect it. Go, have fun!
Along the Grotto Trail at Devils Lake State Park.

I know that there is nothing better for them than to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as they live; moreover, it is God’s gift that all should eat and drink and take pleasure in all their toil. Ecclesiastes 3:12-13
_____
* not her real name

2 comments:

  1. Nice reminder that we all need to play but as adults we don't think about it. At times in my life, I've made a conscious effort to play and it felt great. We should all do it more and we would be happier! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel great when we play, doesn't it? You'd thing that would keep us playing, but we keep getting caught up in "life" as if play isn't. A friend from the Wesley Pilgrimage just connected with me about a book, "The Well-Played Life: Why Pleasing God Doesn't Have to Be Such Hard Work." She even gave me a synopsis - sounds interesting. I'll definitely want to look into it. Who knows, it could make a good study...

      Delete